Students will be learning the various tools for successful writing during writer’s workshop. This workshop consists of a short mini lesson and 30-45 minutes of writing time each day. Students will have an opportunity to create the following pieces of writing throughout the year:
- Personal Narrative
- The Writing Process/ Magazine Feature Articles
- Informational Writing- How To Writing
- Writing from Knowledge & Experience- MEAP Writing Skills
- Research Project
* Within each unit students will also learn how to develop character actions, dialogue, physical descriptions, settings & internal thinking.
Students will also be learning rules for writing. These rules include:
- All sentences start with a capital letter
- Capitalize the names of specific people and places
- All sentences end with a punctuation mark. ? !
- No capital letters in the middle of words
- No two sentences in a row should start with the same word
- The word AND should not be in a sentence more than once
- How to vary sentence beginnings
What can parents do to help?
- When your child shares his/her work with you, comment on the content of the writing
- Don’t look for errors in spelling . . . we are still working on that!
- Encourage your child to write at home. Here are some suggestions:
o Make a list of things you need from the grocery store
o Write thank you notes
o Keep a journal/diary
o Write a wish list
o Make a scrapbook
This is a fun web-site where you can creator your own comics! Don't forget to use speech bubbles! Parents: This web-site is used when teaching dialogue.