What should I expect and know?
Title I of ADA (American Disabilities Act) lists these as prohibited questions:
- Have you ever been hospitalized? If so, for what condition?
- Have you ever been treated by a psychiatrist or psychologist? If so, for what condition?
- Is there any health-related reason that you may not be able to perform the job for which you are applying?
- How many days were you absent from work because of illness last year?
- Are you taking any prescribed drugs?- Have you ever been treated for drug addiction or alcoholism?
Other examples of illegal questions:
- What is your age or date of birth?
- What is your sexual orientation?
- What church do you attend?
- What is your national origin?
- What is your maiden name?
- What is your marital status (Circle one: Ms, Mrs., or Miss)?
- Are you widowed, divorced, or separated?
- What is or was your spouse's name and/or job?
- Have you ever filed a workers' compensation claim?
- Do you have any physical impairments or disabilities that would prevent you from performing the job for which you are applying?
Possible Interview Questions:
About Your Ability to Work in the Environment
Why are you interested in this job?
Why are you interested in working for us?
Describe your greatest strength.
Describe your greatest weakness. (Note: the key to this question is to be honest about a work-related
flaw - but to thoroughly describe how you are working to improve. By being honest, you build trust with
the interviewer and you demonstrate your ability to overcome challenges).
What do you know about us?
Are you a team player?
How do you handle conflict?
How competitive are you?
What do you expect from your supervisor?
Describe to me the best/worst supervisor you ever had.
Why did you choose to specialize in ___________________?
How do you define success in this field?
What are the most important qualities necessary for success in this field? Which of these qualities do you possess?
How did you motivate a resistant student/client to comply with your instructions?
About Your Career and Personal Choices
How would those who have worked with you describe you?
How would you describe yourself? How would a supervisor or colleague describe you?
When did you know you wanted to be a _______ (teacher/counselor/administrator, etc.)?
What are your long-range career goals?
Where do you see yourself in five years? (you may wish to answer this in terms of skills acquired)
What do you do in your spare time?
What do you enjoy doing when you're not working?
How do you relieve stress?
What will it take to persuade you to take this job?
What kind of salary are you looking for?
What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
What did you like best/least in your college experiences?
What gives you the most satisfaction in your work? Why?
What two or three things are most important to you in your job?